Monday, February 15, 2010

One time I was a secretary for 6 weeks

The first week I shared an office with an ex-sorority girl who liked to binge drink. I liked Krystal because she was sassy and confident. She told me gossip and said the guys we worked for were creeps and on my first Friday, she went down to give Pam the rent check and never returned.

I knew she wasn't coming back, but I didn't know why she didn't give two weeks. She left her belongings -snack stash, track jacket, sweater, a couple pictures, because she didn't want to make it clear she had walked out. I agreed not to say anything.
Krystal dropped the check at 10:30 and in 15 minutes she wasn't back. One of our bosses Matt asked about her. "Where's Krystal?"
"Oh, she took the rent check downstairs a little bit ago."
"She's not back yet?"
"No, maybe shes talking with Pam."

At 11:00, Matt asked for Krystal again.
"She's not back yet???"
I shrugged.
"Did she say she was leaving?"
"No."
"Maybe she went to get lunch. This is weird. I'm going to call her. If she's getting lunch anyway, then she can bring me back something."

11:05
"No answer! This is so weird! Where is she? Her stuff is here. Where did she go?"
Matt was already kind of high strung, so it didn't take long for him to start getting annoying.
"Can you try calling her, this is really weird. WHAT IS GOING ON?"
I tried calling her.
"Hey Krystal, Matt is looking for you...yeah, he doesn't understand what's going on. It's funny....I won't say anything. Bye."

11:15
"Did you get a hold of her?"
"No Matt, sorry."
"Did she quit? Why did she leave her stuff here? I think she quit."
"I don't know. It would be really weird for her to quit like that. Maybe she just took a long lunch. I'll let you know if I hear from her." I enjoyed being being comforting and clueless.

11:20
"Have you heard from her?"

11:30
"Why would she just walk out. She's missing out on two days pay? I DON'T UNDERSTAND."

11:35
To Matt: "I don't think Krystal would really do that. It just seems so weird. She's probably taking a long lunch."
To Krystal: "Hi Krystal... he's still looking for you. He's really frantic...Ha ha ha, well, good luck to you."

12:00
"Well she's not getting her last two days of pay. Why did she just leave? Why didn't she give any notice?"
"I don't know, Matt. That is weird. I hope nothing happened to her. Maybe she'll turn up this afternoon."

1 comment: